Annual Tax on Enveloped Dwellings (ATED)

24 March 2021 David Robinson View all News

Companies that hold residential property valued at more than £500k as at 1 April 2017 can be subject to a special annual tax charge.

What is ATED?

ATED – the Annual Tax on Enveloped Dwellings – affects companies owning UK residential property valued individually at more than £500,000.

The annual tax charge is based on the value of the property and starts at £3,700 for a property valued between £500k and £1m, rising to £237,000 for properties valued at over £20 million, but exemptions are available for properties let out on commercial terms and for property used in a property dealing or property development trade.

Where an exemption applies, a return is still required to be submitted to HMRC. Failure to make a return can attract penalties - up to £1,300 when the exemption applies and no tax is due.

Returns are due in advance for a tax year, and should be filed between 1 and 30 April each year.

Should you seek advice?

Therefore, business owners should seek advice if their company owns residential property valued in excess of £500k.

For more details on this, please contact a member of our tax team on 01246 559955 or 0114 2671617 or  complete our form to arrange your free consultation.

 Contact us

Other recent articles;

Tax-Saving Tips for Individuals and businesses

Written especially for entrepreneurs and owner-managed businesses, this guide is full of planning ideas and tax risks to avoid.

If you're looking for ways to reduce your liability, claim your copy and start planning how you could pay less tax.

Download Now

Free Consultation

Simply complete the form and one of our team of specialists will be in touch within one working day.

Begin your journey with us today

Drop us a line today to see how we can help your business thrive