Following the announcement of new national restrictions by the Prime Minister, starting on Thursday 5 November, the Treasury has announced that Business Grants will be available to businesses required to close their premises due to local or national restrictions in England.
What Support Grants will be available?
The support is worth up to £3,000 per month, depending on the rateable value of the business premises, for businesses required to close their premises. This will be as follows:
Rateable value of property
Grant available (every two weeks)
Grant available (every month)
less than £15,000
over £15,000 and less than £51,000
£51,000 or over
Points to note
- Businesses are eligible for one grant per property liable for business rates.
- The latest announcements for Sheffield, Barnsley, Rotherham and Doncaster will be updated on the council websites.
- For businesses that had been required to close their premises prior to November 5 under the Tier 3 restrictions, we understand they will be able to claim grants of the same value from the date they were initially required to close.
- Grants are likely to be received in the form of an initial payment covering four weeks once an application is successful, followed by payments made every two weeks thereafter. This should continue while the restrictions are in place.
How and where to apply for Support Grants
Businesses should apply through their local council website. We advise that businesses regularly check these sites for the status of the grants.
- Sheffield City Council
- Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council
- Doncaster Council
- Chesterfield Borough Council
Please do not hesitate to get in touch with your normal Shorts contact to talk any of the above through in more detail.
Other related news:
- Visit our full Covid-19 Information Hub
- Download your copy of the Shorts 2020 Tax Saving Guide
- Covid-19 - standing alongside our clients
Please get in touch with your normal Shorts contact to talk any of the above through in more detail.
Tom WhitworthView my articles